Veteran Services

The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences is committed to facilitate the transition of veterans from military to university life and provide continuous support to their ongoing academic success. We are available to assist veterans, guardsmen, reservists, spouses, and dependents with their military education benefits.

The Office of the University Registrar works with the Department of Veterans Affairs as well as other federal and state agencies to provided educational assistance to those who have served our country.

If you have questions regarding your VA benefits or how we can help you, please contact Charlotte Gass at 501-526-6040 or by email at or come by our office in CHP Building 2, Suite 100.

Veterans Certification

Veterans and Military Benefits are certified on a per semester basis. Students must complete the UAMS Veteran Affairs – Student Certification and Data Form before the beginning of each semester (Fall, Spring, and/or Summer).

UAMS is required to notify the Department of Veteran Affairs of any of the changes listed below to prevent delays in receipt of benefits

• Credit Level or Grading Option Change
• Change of Program
• Change in Enrollment
• Term of Graduation
• Academic Probation or Dismissal
• Leave of Absence

Using Your Benefits At Another School:

If you would like to take courses at another college to meet requirements for your degree at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, you may do so by having an approved Parent Letter sent from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences to the school in which you wish to take classes.  Students may also combine their credit hours, if they wish to increase their benefits if they are taking courses at more than one school at the same time.  In order for the VA Certifying Official to send a letter to your other school, you will need to fill out a UAMS Parent Letter Request Form.

Veterans and Active Duty Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Program

The Veteran and Active Duty Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Program was established to provide in-state tuition benefits to Service Members, Spouses, and Dependents. Service Members who present documentation of their service, in any of the branches of the armed forces and who are legal residents of other states, are eligible to apply for out-of-state tuition waiver.  The applicant must submit a completed Veteran and Active Duty Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Application to the Office of the University Registrar.

Apply for Benefits

It is recommended that all veterans review the GI Bill® web site. For comprehensive VA Education Benefits counseling, send an email inquiry, or call the VA at 1-888-GIBILL1. If you have questions pertaining to payment, availability of benefits, or approvals, please call the regional VA Office at 1-800-827-1000.

VA Chapter Benefits

Make sure to familiarize yourself with the VA Chapter of Benefits you are using. The more you know, the more you can benefit.

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill)
Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill)
Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents Benefits)
Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves)
Chapter 1607 (Reserves Educational Assistance Program)